tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Peter Crowther <Peter.Crowt...@melandra.com>
Subject RE: Help moving application from Windows to Linux
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2009 14:57:17 GMT
> From: Don Whitehead [mailto:DWhitehead@inccrra.org]
> What folders under tomcat should I be looking in?

First, find server.xml in Tomcat's conf directory.  That is the core of the server configuration.
 It'll tell you a number of things, but there are two key ones:

1) Where Tomcat's base directories are, and hence where the apps are;

2) What connectors are being used to connect Tomcat to IIS at present, and hence how you'll
(probably) want to connect Tomcat to Apache httpd.

It will *not* tell you the hidden stuff the apps rely on.  Once you find the apps, look in
each one's WEB-INF and META-INF directories and look for likely looking configuration files.
 They may well tell you about things like datasources for any databases the app uses.  However,
you can never be entirely certain you've caught all the references, as I've seen some apps
with their own config files hanging around in some very odd places indeed.

That's a sketch, but if you do the steps above you will gain a much better understanding of
how Tomcat's configuration works and where the apps are on your system, and will then be able
to ask the next set of questions :-).

                - Peter