tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Stephen Caine <step...@commongrnd.com>
Subject Re: Java Crash
Date Wed, 28 Jan 2009 12:53:57 GMT
Chris,

>> This is very helpful.  It strongly suggests the issue is memory
>> management, not JFreeChart.
>
> I'd put my money on bad hardware. Every single time I've seen a
> release version of a JVM fail, it's because of bad memory, CPU,
> motherboard, or the combination thereof.
>
> I recommend trying the same code and configuration on a separate
> physical machine to see if that might be the problem. Does Mac have
> anything like memtest86? Can you even run that on x86-based Macs?

My initial presumption was bad memory, but after running a very
intensive memory test (provided by Apple), no problems were found.
Also, no other process results in a JVM crash.  Only when JFreeChart
is run does the JVM crash.  This is an X-Serve, dual core intel that
has 12 gigs of RAM running OS X 10.5.

Stephen Caine
Soft Breeze Systems, LLC