tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Landon Fabbricino" <LFabb...@agrium.com>
Subject Re: Programmatically Force JSP Reload
Date Wed, 28 Jan 2009 23:44:18 GMT
Not sure if this helps you or not.

You could use the following.

www.yourdomain.com/jspfile.jsp?jsp_precompile=true

You may be able to use this to your advantage somehow.

Landon Fabbricino
IT Applications

Phone: 403.225.7515
Fax: 403.225.7604
lfabbric@agrium.com

From: 	Eric Grunzke <eric.grunzke@gmail.com>
To:	<users@tomcat.apache.org>
Date: 	1/28/2009 2:20 PM
Subject: 	Programmatically Force JSP Reload

Hello,

I am developing an app framework that has a very costly startup cycle.
Consequently, I try to avoid restarting apps because it takes a long time
for the core to get spooled up.  In this vein I have a custom classloader
that reloads the WEB-INF/classes directory without doing a full restart of
the app.  I've run into a problem, however, in JSPs.  It's possible for JSPs
to contain a reference to a .class file that becomes stale when I reload
behind the scenes, which results in a ClassCastException.

The bottom line here is that I am searching for a way to programmatically
force tomcat to drop all loaded JSPs from memory.  I do not need to
recompile them, just reload the classes.  However, if compilation and
reloading are inextricably linked, that's a cost I'm willing to accept.

I've tried looking around the documentation and searching the mailing list,
but I've been unsuccessful so far.  Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

-Eric

IMPORTANT NOTICE !
This E-Mail transmission and any accompanying attachments may contain confidential information
intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. Any dissemination, distribution,
copying or action taken in reliance on the contents of this E-Mail by anyone other than the
intended recipient is strictly prohibited and is not intended to, in anyway, waive privilege
or confidentiality. If you have received this E-Mail in error please immediately delete it
and notify sender at the above E-Mail address.
Agrium uses state of the art anti-virus technology on all incoming and outgoing E-Mail. We
encourage and promote the use of safe E-Mail management practices and recommend you check
this, and all other E-Mail and attachments you receive for the presence of viruses. The sender
and Agrium accept no liability for any damage caused by a virus or otherwise by the transmittal
of this E-Mail.