tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Ken Johanson <tomcat-u...@kensystem.com>
Subject Servlet 2.5 and RequestDispatcher.include + Response.setHeader, invalid?
Date Wed, 28 Jan 2009 05:33:51 GMT
First my apologies if this has been discussed; searching the list for
subject keywords, I did not see this discussion...

It's my understanding that servlet 2.5 loosened the requirement that a
included/callee Servlet (and JSP?) cannot set the resp headers/status,
and should now be able to set them if not already committed. But is this
correct?:

1: J2EE 5 / Servlet 2.5, RequestDispatcher.include still states that
"The included servlet cannot change the response status code or set
headers; any attempt to make a change is ignored.":
http://java.sun.com/javaee/5/docs/api/javax/servlet/RequestDispatcher.html

2: In practice Tomcat (6.0.18) indeed ignores the setHeader call in the
callee.

Any links or comments that can clarify the situation would be appreciated.

Warm regards,
Ken