tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Fresh install problems
Date Sun, 25 Jan 2009 15:01:33 GMT
Shaolin wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> I downloaded Tomcat 6.0.18 and JDK 6 Update 11 - Installed the JDK
> followed by tomcat, specified JRE path (C:\Program
> Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_11\jre). The problem is it doesnt start. Here are
> the log errors:

Hi.
Before anything else, just verify the following :
In the Tomcat installation directory, there should be a program called
"tomcat6w.exe".  This is a GUI program, which allows you to set
parameters important for running Tomcat as a Windows service.
Double-click on it, and then maybe look at the various parameters that
contain file paths, and (if not already so), if some of these parameters
contain embedded spaces, try quoting them.
Like "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_11\jre".
Then try again.

Then some tips, but only after the above :

When you choose the "Windows Service installer" version of Tomcat to
download and install, you do not get all the same files as you would get
if you chose the "zip" version, and it works a bit differently.
You get essentially 2 programs : tomcat6.exe and tomcat6w.exe, instead
of the full panoply of shell-like startup scripts (startup.sh,
startup.bet, catalina.sh etc..).

As already mentioned above, tomcat6w.exe is in fact a Windows GUI
program, whose sole function is to set a number of parameters in the
Windows Registry, to be used by the other program tomcat6.exe.

tomcat6.exe is a "wrapper" program, which will start a Java JVM (as per
these Registry settings), which will itself launch the Tomcat bootstrap
Java class bootstrap.jar.
This wrapper program exists under Windows, to wrap the Java JVM and
allow it to interact with Windows in the way in which a Windows Service
should interact (e.g. respond to Windows commands such as "start
Service", "stop service" etc..), and translate that into the kind of
action which Tomcat expects in order to start up, stop etc..

All this is "kind of" explained in the following pages, but not
necessarily in the clearest or most up-to-date way :
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/setup.html
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/windows-service-howto.html
http://commons.apache.org/daemon/
http://commons.apache.org/daemon/procrun.html

An alternative to all the above is :
- de-install your current version of Tomcat 6
- download and unzip the zip version instead, in a directory like
C:\tomcat6.  I strongly suggest a path without embedded spaces, as this
will most probably save you some aggravation later.
- then read the RUNNING.TXT, for general info
- then run the (installdir)/bin/service.bat file to install this version
of Tomcat as a Windows Service. You may want to inspect this file first,
to get an idea of what it does.

It is a bit more tedious, but it provides more insight as to what is
going on.