tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Forward request from apache to specific web application
Date Sat, 24 Jan 2009 22:42:25 GMT
Salalam wrote:
> I think my problem is very common, but I didn't find a solution.
>
> I have Tomcat 5.5 with a web application. Let's say this application is
> deployed in the context 'mywebapp'. I can call the application with the url
> http://mydomain.com:8080/mywebapp.
> But now i want to call the application via apache directly, e.g. with port
> 80 so that the url is just http://mydomain.com

Well the first question to ask is whether you really need an Apache
front-end here.  You can have Tomcat listening directly on port 80 by
just changing the corresponding HTTP <Connector port=....> in your
server.xml.
And forget Apache and mod_jk in that case.

An Apache httpd+mod_jk front-end is justified if, apart from sending
some specific requests to Tomcat webapps, you want to do some other
things at the Apache level, that Tomcat cannot do as easily.  But if you
are sending everything to Tomcat anyway, then I don't see the point.