tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Alan Chaney <>
Subject Re: PostgreSQL vs MySQL with Tomcat
Date Mon, 19 Jan 2009 21:08:37 GMT
I stopped using MySQL when it was at version 4 because the transactional
locking table (InnoDB) had different licensing restrictions than the
rest of MySql (I'm not sure if this is true any longer.)

We switched to Postgresql (of comparable price!) and basically found it
well-documented, reliable and fast (as long as you make sure to 'vacuum'
it) Postgresql is under the BSD license which suited our needs better
than the dual-licensing arrangement of MySQL. PGSQL has a very
comprehensive set of features and I've not had any problems using it in
conjunction with Hibernate.

MySQL 5 now has better transactional support than 4 - although I am
personally sceptical of their reliance on 'atomic' locking - I don't
quite see how that would work with long transactions and an optimistic
locking strategy.

So, in the end "you pays your money and you takes your choice" (grin)

Alan Chaney