tomcat-users mailing list archives

From S├ębastien Piller <pi...@hmcrecord.ch>
Subject Re: which JSP web hosting(windows or linux)
Date Sun, 18 Jan 2009 11:32:17 GMT
Hi,

Sneha Manohar wrote:
> Hello ,
> I have some more questions on web hosting . Which web hosting I should go for windows
or linux . Do I need to learn linux if I choose linux hosting . What is the impact of linux
or windows hosting on my web application.

> sneha

yes, if you choose a linux hosting you will have to maintain it
yourself, using SSH (at least if it is a dedicated one). If not
dedicated, then it will be transparent for you (you will just upload
your war file to a ftp folder, as you do with any hosting windows,
linux, solaris, etc...).

But a dedicated one is very preferable, since operations like rebooting
the app server are often needed. In a shared hosting, this is a pain.

And windows hosting are usually more expensive than linux ones.

If I were you, I'd choose a linux dedicated hosting. Even if you need to
learn linux, this is valuable in todays' days :)