tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat shutdown script initiates Heap dump collection
Date Wed, 14 Jan 2009 21:15:19 GMT
Prakash Nathan1 wrote:
> Hi Chuck
>
> In "catalina.sh" file, I could see that JAVA_OPTS and CATALINA_OPTS are
> being referenced as follows..
>
> exec "$_RUNJDB" $JAVA_OPTS $CATALINA_OPTS \...
>
> However, the value for "JAVA_OPTS" is not defined in catalina.sh
>
> As I had already mentioned, ONLY CATALINA_OPTS are defined in "setenv.sh"
> CATALINA_OPTS='-Xms512M -Xmx1536M'
>
> Where can I find the values configured for JAVA_OPTS ?

The quickie answer is to add a line

echo "catalina.sh : JAVA_OPTS = $JAVA_OPTS" > /var/log/tomcat_debug_file.log

to the beginning of your catalina.sh, and see what comes out.

The better answer :

To start Tomcat, you must use a command like
/etc/init.d/tomcatxx start
yes ?
If so, then look first at that script, and follow the chain of scripts
that itself calls.  Depending on the system you are using, there may be
other files that are "read in" during startup and which define options
such as "JAVA_OPTS".  Under Linux e.g., look in the /etc/default dir.
The thing is, there are so many different platform flavors and setups
and ways to start these things, that there is no easy answer. You will
have to piece the puzzle together yourself.

On my Linux Debian systems, the chain is roughly as follows :
/etc/init.d/tomcat5.5 does some stuff, then reads
/etc/default/tomcat5.5, then does some more stuff, then calls up
/usr/share/tomcat5.5/bin/startup.sh, which itself calls
/usr/share/tomcat5.5/bin/catalina.sh, which itself runs
/usr/share/tomcat5.5/bin/setenv.sh.
And there are probably bits I'm forgetting..