tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Alan Chaney <a...@compulsivecreative.com>
Subject Re: File upload fails
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2009 22:13:25 GMT

javacle wrote:
> The file is about 30Mbytes
> .. I get the same error uploading from the office on the same LAN as the
> server.
Ok - not likely to be a problem with the remote connection, then.

What do you see in your browser when the upload fails? Have you got any
browser debugging - if you are using Firefox you can easily add the
'LiveHttpHeaders' plugin which I find very useful.

What happens inside your application following the upload? Is there a
significant period of processing in the same thread as the servlet
doGet? If so, its possible that your connection is timing out.

As you can simulate the problem in your office, what happens if you
DON'T restart tomcat after you get the connection issue? If you just
leave it for a little while can you then upload again?

> Browser is (I think) always MSIE 6 .. but maybe sometimes Mozilla .. that's
> something to check.
> I will look into wireshark.

Having a monitor on the connection will be useful. You should be able to
install wireshark from your distro. I assume that as you are using MSIE
then your dev. system is a PC? I develop on linux and don't know of any
particular network monitor to recommend.

HTH

Alan