tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Pid...@pidster.com>
Subject Re: j_security_check with https
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2009 10:13:45 GMT
Pid wrote:
> Justin Randall wrote:
>> Howdy,
>>
>> First, to clear an incorrect point made...
>>
>> There is a point of switching back to HTTP after HTTPS.  From a server load perspective
having to perform SSL computations for every single HTTP request can be a serious performance
bottleneck.  As for the security aspect, transmission of the username/password should be done
over HTTPS, as this is considered "private/confidential" data and can be used to establish
future authenticated sessions, however unless you are in a location where eavesdropping attacks
are a risk, there is no need for encryption as the session ID is either a hashed string in
a cookie, or the servlet is making use of URL re-writing, both of which are only "temporary
passes" until the HttpSession has been invalidated.

>> Second, to answer the question regarding actions redirect to HTTP...
>>
>> The reason the redirects are not going to HTTPS is because of the RequestDispatcher.
 When Tomcat sees that you are trying to access a resource for which login is required, it
FOWARDs the request to the login form.  The security constraints defined in web.xml are for
when requests are made directly for those resources.  What this means is that your configuration
to make sure that the login pages use SSL only come into affect when the browser requests
them directly.  Requests that have been FORWARDed by the RequestDispatcher totally bypass
the SSL constraints.

> False: the built-in login mechanism occurs below the level of the
> Servlet Spec compliant part of the code, in the Valve processing chain
> (@see org.apache.catalina.authenticator.FormAuthenticator).
>
> A correctly configured FORM auth, with transport-guarantee ==
> CONFIDENTIAL *will* pre-emptively redirect the connection to the
> specified secure port, thus ensuring that the username and password is
> sent over an HTTPS connection.
>
> In order for this to work, you need to have a correctly configured
> web.xml, two connectors working including one on SSL and the correct
> HTML on the form login page.
>
> OP, please provide: the relevant bit of your web.xml, your connector
> config definitions and the HTML contents of the form on your login page.
>

> We should be asking the OP for configuration details instead of
> inventing technical solutions for something that should already work.
>

>> What is the solution?
>>
>> Create a Filter subclass with the sole purpose of having its "doFilter" method call
"sendRedirect" on the HttpServletResponse object.  Map this Filter to the same URL pattern
you use for SSL and make sure to use the <dispatcher> tags for FORWARD, INCLUDE, ERROR,
and whatever other RequestDispatcher operations you want to ensure use SSL.

> False: this is spurious.
>
> Because the Valve operations occur below the level of Filter processing,
> the dispatchers are not called when the FormAuthenticator determines
> that the login page needs to be displayed.  If you're using the same URL
> pattern then the Valve operation will occur *before* the Filter
> operation, thus rendering the Filter useless until *after* the login
> completes.
>
> If the correct operation was to engage SSL *after* the login page had
> been displayed there would be something horribly wrong with the spec or
> implementation, and we'd all be moaning about it.
>

> I think the point re: going back to HTTP (after HTTPS) has already been
> addressed, but I'd add the following: in many cases the computation
> required to provide SSL is actually insignificant compared to the sum of
> other operations required to display the contents of the page.
>
> It might be inconvenient to correctly configure, especially if it means
> securing all other sources of displayed content, (e.g. static or cached
> content), but if you want a secure site you've got to lock it down, from
> top to bottom.

In fact, in regard to the email example: I think I'd rather my email was
private actually, when I consider how many passwords/resets I get...

>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Justin
>>
>>> Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 19:01:24 -0200
>>> From: diegogusava@gmail.com
>>> To: users@tomcat.apache.org
>>> Subject: Re: j_security_check with https
>>>
>>> this didnt work
>>>
>>>         <security-constraint>
>>>
>>> 		<web-resource-collection>
>>>
>>> 			<web-resource-name>Usuario</web-resource-name>
>>> 			<url-pattern>/login/*</url-pattern>
>>> 			<http-method>POST</http-method>
>>> 			<http-method>GET</http-method>
>>>
>>> 		</web-resource-collection>
>>> 			<user-data-constraint>
>>> 				<transport-guarantee>CONFIDENTIAL</transport-guarantee>
>>> 			</user-data-constraint>
>>>
>>> 	</security-constraint>
>>>
>>> if i try <myAPP>/login/login.jsp  work, but when i try an action and
>>> has restrict access, and havent user logged, tomcat redirect to login
>>> page with http !!!

MATERIAL and is thus for use only by the intended recipient. If you received this in error,
please contact the sender and delete the e-mail and its attachments from all computers.