tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "David.Meldrum" <david.meld...@verizon.net>
Subject Jar wars - Conflicting classes
Date Sat, 03 Jan 2009 16:32:21 GMT
Windows XP SP 3  Tomcat 6.0.1  JVM 1.6.0

Must all conflicting classes be sorted out on one instance of Tomcat?
I have learned not to put application jars (classes) in the jre lib,
since they then become common to all applications and if there is a
duplicate, but not exact duplicate, then things crash.  What I am
wondering is, are all the classes loaded into the _same_ JVM?  Here is
the problem I ran into.  Application #1 uses some Quartz scheduling
classes.  Application #2 also uses Quartz, but apparently a different
version.  Can these applications live on the same Tomcat instance?  In
other words if each of the applications has it's own  lib, can the
classes overlap?  I get the feeling the applications will have to be
sorted out to use the same Quart library.  I read the  documentation
regarding Class Loader and understand the order in which libraries are
searched, but do the classes end up in one single aggregated JVM memory?

- Dave