tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Problem loading jsp pages
Date Fri, 02 Jan 2009 15:04:38 GMT
davefury wrote:

The apache/tomcat installation under Debian Etch works fine, and does
not screw up either one of them.  It splits them into many directories
and adds quite a few links all over the place, but once you get the hang
of it, it is rather easy and flexible.

> 1) I'm accessing Tomcat via http://machine_ip/ so, its through apache.
>
> 2) At the bottom of the error pages (the 500 Internal Server Error), the
> following can be found:
> Apache/2.2.3 (Debian) mod_jk/1.2.27 Server at 62.175.253.142 Port 80

That fact above indicates that the problem is probably at the Apache
level, and possibly that something happens when trying to re-direct your
jsp links from Apache to Tomcat (since your servlets work).

In the directory /etc/apache2/mods-available, there is a file called
jk.conf.
This file is "pulled in" by Apache when it starts up, and configures the
mod_jk connector within Apache.
In that file, there are 2 lines as follows (or there sould be) :
JkLogFile /var/log/apache2/mod_jk.log
JkLogLevel debug

If the above lines are not there, or different, edit them to be as above
and resave the file.
Then restart Apache (Tomcat is not necessary), and try your links again.
After that, go look at the file /var/log/apache2/mod_jk.log and check if
there is any error there.

> I'm using tomcat apache-tomcat-5.5.17 & apache2 2.2.3-4+etch6. The mod_jk
> connector is the latest version download from the official website.
>
> 4) I'm affraid I can't connect to tomcat via 8080, since we'r all
> firewalled. Anyways, I assume its working correctly since its redirecting
> data to port 80, and its displaying fine. Guess mod_jk conector is working
> as intended.

What really happens is :
- you send a request to Apache on port 80
- the mod_jk connector in Apache catches specific URLs which have to be
forwarded to Tomcat
- these calls are sent to Tomcat via a special Tomcat port (usually
8009), corresponding to a <Connector> in the Tomcat main configuration
file (/etc/tomcat5.5/server.xml)
- Tomcat processes the request and sends the answer back to Apache,
through the same connector
- Apache catches the result and sends it back to your browser

If there was an error at the Tomcat level, you would get a Tomcat error
page, which looks quite different.
So my guess is that your jsp requests do not even get to Tomcat, but
result in an error at the Apache level, before Apache+mod_jk even try to
send them to Tomcat.

If you cannot find the error, then in your next message post the content
of the file /etc/apache2/mods-available/jk.conf here.