tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Eric Grunzke <>
Subject Programmatically Force JSP Reload
Date Wed, 28 Jan 2009 21:19:26 GMT

I am developing an app framework that has a very costly startup cycle.
Consequently, I try to avoid restarting apps because it takes a long time
for the core to get spooled up.  In this vein I have a custom classloader
that reloads the WEB-INF/classes directory without doing a full restart of
the app.  I've run into a problem, however, in JSPs.  It's possible for JSPs
to contain a reference to a .class file that becomes stale when I reload
behind the scenes, which results in a ClassCastException.

The bottom line here is that I am searching for a way to programmatically
force tomcat to drop all loaded JSPs from memory.  I do not need to
recompile them, just reload the classes.  However, if compilation and
reloading are inextricably linked, that's a cost I'm willing to accept.

I've tried looking around the documentation and searching the mailing list,
but I've been unsuccessful so far.  Any insight is greatly appreciated.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message