tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Can Tomcat be used to host socket servers?
Date Wed, 14 Jan 2009 21:35:22 GMT
> From: Jonathan Mast [mailto:jhmast.developer@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Can Tomcat be used to host socket servers?
>
> Not sure if dynamically rewriting server.xml is the way
> to go.

Pretty much guaranteed not to be, since that would require stopping and restarting Tomcat.

> The situation is that we have some existing programs
> (written in C) that are socket servers.

It's not clear to me exactly what you mean by "are socket servers".  Do you mean they simply
do a listen/accept on a server socket, waiting for connection requests from some client?
If so, what protocol is being used?  If it's not HTTP (or AJP), Tomcat won't help you.

Handling server sockets in Java borders on the trivial; using Tomcat just for that would be
massive overkill.

 - Chuck