tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Gregor Schneider" <rc4...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Sudden and unexpected exception at Tomcat startup
Date Mon, 29 Dec 2008 15:01:58 GMT
Hi André,

good to hear that you got the issue solved.

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 10:55 AM, André Warnier <aw@ice-sa.com> wrote:

> If anything, I feel that the log message is not very clear :
>
> 2008-12-28 13:21:58,548 [main] WARN  org.apache.naming.NamingContext -
> Unexpected exception resolving reference
> java.io.IOException: IOException writing to
> /srv/www/tomcat5/base/conf/tomcat-users.xml.new

well, what do you expect Tomcat (or Java) to do here?
The Java-Runtime throws an exception that writing is not possible and
delegates the exception to Tomcat.
What should Tomcat do without the appropriate information?
The only solution would be to enhance the Java Runtime to give a more
talkative Exception, however, that's a Java - not a Tomcat-issue.

Cheers

Gregor
--
just because your paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you...
gpgp-fp: 79A84FA526807026795E4209D3B3FE028B3170B2