tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Martin Gainty <mgai...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat Not Releasing URL Connection
Date Tue, 30 Dec 2008 21:13:59 GMT

Same DNS ..different Machines..sounds like you have some tricks going on behind the scenes
with proxy-servers
You better check with your net admin...

Martin
Disclaimer and confidentiality note
within this transmission.

> Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 13:21:10 -0700
> From: Troy.Davidson@maverik.com
> To: users@tomcat.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Tomcat Not Releasing URL Connection
>
> P,
>
> Sorry for not adding that.  Yes, they keep the same DNS, but switch the IP to the backup
server.

> Troy Davidson
> Senior Programmer
>
> Maverik, Inc.
> 880 W. Center St.
> NSL, Utah 84054
>
> 801-335-3887 Office
> 801-663-1460 Cell
>
> Thank you for allowing us to service your technical needs,
> Your Technical Services Team

> Troy Davidson wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've searched for an answer to this problem, but haven't found anything yet.
> >
> > Here is the problem:
> >
> > I have an application that connects to a 3rd party vendors server to request updated
information.  This connection is created and closed in the Java code each time it is needed.
 This works fine and the new data is pulled.

> > But, if the 3rd party vendor's server goes down and they switch to their backup
server, my Java code never gets any data.  I can go into Tomcat and restart the Java app,
but it still won't receive new data.  If I restart Tomcat, then, I will start to get new data.

> > I have racked my brain about this for a while and just can't come up with any answers.
 It seems that Tomcat is pooling the network connection and not releasing it but reusing it
each time.  I would assume this is for speed, but when the servers switch, I need a way to
tell Tomcat to release the connection and make a new one.