tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Martin Gainty <>
Subject RE: How to set Log4J debug flag in Tomcat
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2008 01:19:29 GMT

Create a file called with the following content
            and save it into common/classes.
log4j.appender.R.layout.ConversionPattern=%p %t %c - %m%
--Container specific[Catalina].[localhost]=DEBUG,
--core specific, R
--session specific, R

Download Log4J
            (v1.2 or later) and place the log4j jar in $CATALINA_HOME/common/lib.
            Download Commons Logging and place the commons-logging-x.y.z.jar
            (not commons-logging-api-x.y.z.jar) in $CATALINA_HOME/common/lib with
            the log4j jar.Start Tomcat
Documentation is located at

Disclaimer and confidentiality note
within this transmission.