tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Peter Crowther <Peter.Crowt...@melandra.com>
Subject RE: [OT] JK Connector problem
Date Thu, 04 Dec 2008 09:38:31 GMT
> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
> Folder/directory/file names with spaces in them are evil, and
> should be
> forbidden in any new OS, by unanimous decision of the UN Security
> Council, US Supreme Court and EU Commission.  The developers who first
> allowed this should be tracked down and named publically.  Their boss
> who approved this should be fired (he's probably already
> retired though).

As I've commented before, it's at least as old as UNIX, probably older.  If you try to stop
the accounts team naming their Excel files "Budgets from Margaret 2008-2009" you may find
your office surrounded by a mob of pitchfork- and torch-waving users chanting "give us back
our readable filenames".  Overall, I suspect more hours have been saved by humanity having
readable filenames* than lost by developers having to work round the problems.

> The Apache group should stop installing their Windows versions by
> default in a directory containing the silly names "Apache
> Group" and/or
> "Program Files" in the path.  How many useless programming
> and debugging
> hours does it have to cost before this issue is put to rest ?

"Program Files" is mandated by Microsoft, lobby them.  I partially agree that "Apache Group"
is a poor name for a directory; it does, at least, force implementors to face up to the problem
early, rather than facing a surprise later.  This may or may not be a good thing overall.

                - Peter

* ReadingSpeedGoesUpWhenTheSpacesAreInTheCorrectPlace.HowLongHasItTakenYouToReadThisComparedToYourUsualReadingSpeed?Andhowmuchslowerisitwhenthereisn'tevencamelcasetohelpyoudistinguishwordbreaks?
OK, now multiply that by all filenames read by all users over all their time interacting with
their computers.