tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Peter Crowther <Peter.Crowt...@melandra.com>
Subject RE: jvm cowardly refuses to print a thread dump
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2008 16:41:49 GMT
> From: Caldarale, Charles R [mailto:Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com]
> That's ugly.  Sounds like either the OS failed to deliver the
> signal, or the JVM is locked up internally (probably the
> latter).

That's rather what I was reckoning.  I've had signal delivery fail before if all the threads
were stuck in kernel code via system calls.  This was SunOS 3.x, which shows my age - NFS
was kernel-mode at that point, which made for interesting times if file accesses got stuck.
 Processes not responding to a kill -9 was a new one on me!

Might the code have ended up with all threads stuck in OS calls?  It feels a little unlikely,
as I assume the JVM keeps a couple of threads for itself...

                - Peter