tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Pid...@pidster.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat Not Releasing URL Connection
Date Tue, 30 Dec 2008 20:18:32 GMT
Troy Davidson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've searched for an answer to this problem, but haven't found anything yet.
>
> Here is the problem:
>
> I have an application that connects to a 3rd party vendors server to request updated
information.  This connection is created and closed in the Java code each time it is needed.
 This works fine and the new data is pulled.

> But, if the 3rd party vendor's server goes down and they switch to their backup server,
my Java code never gets any data.  I can go into Tomcat and restart the Java app, but it still
won't receive new data.  If I restart Tomcat, then, I will start to get new data.

> I have racked my brain about this for a while and just can't come up with any answers.
 It seems that Tomcat is pooling the network connection and not releasing it but reusing it
each time.  I would assume this is for speed, but when the servers switch, I need a way to
tell Tomcat to release the connection and make a new one.

What exactly happens when 'they' switch to their back up server?
Does a DNS name resolve to a different IP address for example?