tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [OT] How to compile a servlet for Tomcat 5 on IBM JVM, or, "Dr. Warnier: How I learned to stop worrying and love VMWare"
Date Tue, 30 Dec 2008 09:01:28 GMT
Michael Ludwig wrote:
[...]
> But maybe your case is a different one.

Yes indeed, several different ones (almost one per customer).
In this particular case (Cisco VPN Client), the settings you describe
are not accessible (or not modifiable).  I believe it is a protection
for the VPN you are connecting to. After all, I guess you do not want
someone connecting through VPN to your internal network, and this way
opening the network to all kinds of external nasties to which the client
itself is open.
The main issue is that each of these VPN systems installs its own
modules client-side, which all one way or another install themselves
either as services or as intermediate modules or drivers somewhere in
the TCP/IP protocol stack.  And these modules, from different sources,
are rarely made so that they cooperate nicely with one another.  Each
one tends to believe it is the only one on the machine, to install
itself as "automatic start at boot" etc...  Add to this the general
obscurity of how Windows manages these "network connections" and you're
in for a mystical experience.