tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [OT] How to compile a servlet for Tomcat 5 on IBM JVM, or, "Dr. Warnier: How I learned to stop worrying and love VMWare"
Date Mon, 29 Dec 2008 21:03:31 GMT
Christopher Schultz wrote:

> André,
>
> André Warnier wrote:
>> It's a whole process to connect to that server, and when I am connected
>> I lose my other connections (email e.g.).
>
> Aah, you use a VPN that fubar's your other connections? That's too bad.
Not me, them customers of ours.

> If you often connect to this machine, you might want to consider running
> a host-guest VM like VMWare Player. You can go to many sites that will
> pre-package blank VMs for you (like "gimmie a 10GB MS Windows XP VM" and
> it will give you a config file and a blank VM). Fire it up in VMWare
> Player with your XP install CD in your drive and then install XP onto
> the VM. Or, just download one of the very fine pre-packaged Linux VMs
> right from VMWare's site.
>
> Run your VPN from within the VM and your "real" machine's connections
> should stay right as rain. It may be a bit of a production just to open
> up an SSH connection, but at least you will be able to connect to your
> production box AND do other work at the same time.
>
> Just a thought.

That's more than a thought, it's plenty of thoughts.
Why didn't we think of that ourselves before ?
That stuff with different customers, each of them having different VPN
setups often incompatible between them (in terms of clients on our
workstations) has been bothering us for ages.
And as it happens, we are just in the process of setting up a VMWare
server locally as a test machine. Me thinks we're gonna do something
based on that above stuff.
Great idea ! Thanks.