tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Sudden and unexpected exception at Tomcat startup
Date Mon, 29 Dec 2008 09:55:05 GMT
Alan Chaney wrote:
[...]

Hi.
I found the reason, and apologise for waisting everyone's time.
Thanks for the tips anyway, they helped.

It was a simple diskspace issue.
Unknown to me, someone created a huge backup file in the directory /mnt,
part of the "/" filesystem, and filled up this filesystem.
On the other hand, as mentioned in my posts, the "conf" directory of
Tomcat (where tomcat-users.xml lives) is in reality linked to
/etc/tomcat5, also under "/".
Thus when Tomcat during startup tried to rewrite tomcat-users.xml
(apparently first as tomcat-users.xml.new, which was also something I
did not know), it encountered a full disk and got the IO Exception.

If anything, I feel that the log message is not very clear :

2008-12-28 13:21:58,548 [main] WARN  org.apache.naming.NamingContext -
Unexpected exception resolving reference
java.io.IOException: IOException writing to
/srv/www/tomcat5/base/conf/tomcat-users.xml.new
     at
org.apache.catalina.users.MemoryUserDatabase.save(MemoryUserDatabase.java:495)
     at

a simple mention of "no space left on device" or something would have
saved a lot of looking at permissions, config changes, etc..