tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: HTTP 400 Error when trying to check Tomcat installation
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2008 13:00:24 GMT
BoyePeter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the reply and have just tried your suggestion.
>
> A dialogue box has appeared asking for a user name and password and saying
> that the server localhost at Tomcat Manager Application requires a username
> and password.
>
> I did set up a user name and password for Tomcat and so assume that this has
> been set by the Tomcat developers at Apache.

I believe that you are confusing two things : the username and password
under which Tomcat itself runs, and the username/password that Tomcat
uses to protect access to the Manager application.
For this second one, look in the (tomcat-dir)/conf/tomcat-users.xml file.
If they are not there yet, add the following lines :

<role rolename="manager"/>
<user username="theBossHere" password="qwerty" roles="manager"/>

then restart Tomcat.
Close and re-open the browser, call the Manager page again, and use the
above userid/password to login.