tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat mapping of URLs -> servlets
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2008 17:06:53 GMT
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
>> Subject: Re: Tomcat mapping of URLs -> servlets
>>
>> At deployment time thus (in my hypothetical case above when
>> Tomcat starts and finds a such webapps top dir), does it
>> recursively go through the webapp dirs and subdirs, to
>> determine what is a webapp and what is not ?
>
> No, that's not necessary; only .war files and directories immediately under a <Host>'s
appBase along with any <Context> elements with non-redundant docBase attributes are
webapps.

Ok, thanks.
So, in my admittedly forced earlier example, only /foo would be
recognised as a webapp, and even /foo/bar would not be.
Except if there was, for /foo/bar, an appropriate <Context> element,
inside a foo#bar.xml file, itself located under
(tomcat_base)/conf/Catalina/(hostname)/

Have I finally got it right ?
(Not quite sure about the foo#bar thing, but I think  remember reading
that on this list)

You know, I think I am beginning to understand the problem with the
documentation.  While the API is fairly hierarchical and lends itself to
that kind of documentation structure, the configuration of Tomcat itself
doesn't.  Each element seems to require as a pre-requisite the knowledge
of many others, which makes it really hard to explain something in a
simple and progressive fashion.
Maybe someone who has been involved for years with Tomcat, or who is
involved in the design itself of Tomcat, sees this in a different way.
But for a beginner it is really hard to get a grip.