tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Chris Wareham" <cware...@visitlondon.com>
Subject Re: jvm cowardly refuses to print a thread dump
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2008 15:16:04 GMT
Martin Gainty wrote:
> if its a bean make sure you
> declare your attributes as having either private or protected access
> in the case of attribute called size contained in class FuBar
> class FuBar
> {
>   public FuBar() { ; } //default no-arg constructor
>   private int Size;
> //declare accessor getSize
>   public getSize()
>  {
>    return Size;
>   }
> //declare mutator setSize
>   public setSize(int Size)
>   {
>    this.Size = Size;
>   }
> } //end class definition
>
> HTH
> Martin

You probably also want to declare Size as volatile if it's going to be
accessed by multiple threads and isn't enclosed in a synchronized
method or block. You may also want to declare the argument to the setter
as final, your variable naming convention conflicts with the Sun one,
and the default constructor is redundant. I'll remove my pedant hat now.

Chris

> Disclaimer and confidentiality note
> Everything in this e-mail and any attachments relates to the official business of Sender.
within this transmission.

>> From: Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com
>> To: users@tomcat.apache.org
>> Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 08:47:05 -0600
>> Subject: RE: jvm cowardly refuses to print a thread dump
>>
>>> From: news [mailto:news@ger.gmane.org] On Behalf Of Oliver Schoett
>>> Subject: Re: jvm cowardly refuses to print a thread dump
>>>
>>> Very likely you have unsynchronized accesses to the ArrayList
>> That's irrelevant for the size() method, where the entire code consists of this:
>>
>>     public int size() {
>>         return size;
>>     }
>>
>> Not much chance for a loop there...
>>
>>  - Chuck
>>

>> THIS COMMUNICATION MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR OTHERWISE PROPRIETARY MATERIAL
and is thus for use only by the intended recipient. If you received this in error, please
contact the sender and delete the e-mail and its attachments from all computers.

> You live life online. So we put Windows on the web.

Chris Wareham
Senior Software Engineer
Visit London Ltd
6th floor,
2 More London Riverside, London SE1 2RR

Tel:  +44 (0)20 7234 5848
Fax: +44 (0)20 7234 5753

www.visitlondon.com

'Visit London Limited' is registered in England under No.761149;
Registered Office: Visit London, 2 More London Riverside, London SE1 2RR.

Visit London is the official visitor organisation for London. Visit London is partly funded
by Partnership, the Mayor's London Development Agency and London Councils.
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and intended for the named recipient(s)
only.  If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and then delete
the message.  If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute
this email. The views expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual and not of Visit
London. We reserve the right to read and monitor any email or attachment entering or leaving
our systems without prior notice.