tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Chris Wareham" <cware...@visitlondon.com>
Subject Re: mixed html and jsp site using ProxyPass
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2008 12:50:00 GMT
David Goodenough wrote:
> The reason was that Tomcat did not serve the Flash correctly, never did
> manage to get to the bottom of why but the browser did not complain - it
> just left big blank spaces.  With this setup at least that bit works.
>
> David

My gut response is that the MIME type is wrong, so the browser doesn't
know that the file is a Flash movie. How were you serving the Flash
files when you tried it from Tomcat? You will probably need a servlet
which sets the MIME type correctly, (trying to do it from a JSP will
work, but will also fill your logs with warnings as a JSP is not
supposed to serve binary files).

Chris

> On Wednesday 03 December 2008, Peter Crowther wrote:
>>> From: David Goodenough [mailto:david.goodenough@btconnect.com]
>>> I have a site which is a mixture of html (and a bunch of images and
>>> flash and other such stuff which came in from the web designer) and
>>> a couple of JSPs.  I have implemented this with Apache 2.2 and Tomcat
>>> 5.5, using ProxyPass statements with ajp in the Location tag.
>> Is there any reason for such a complex setup?  Tomcat will quite happily
>> serve the static content itself.  You could:
>>
>> 1) Put all the content in the same directory for Tomcat to serve, keep
>> Apache httpd, but all your content goes through Tomcat->httpd->user;
>>
>> 2) Put all the content in the same directory for Tomcat to serve, remove
>> Apache httpd, serve the content directly through a http Connector in
>> Tomcat.
>>
>>                 - Peter

Chris Wareham
Senior Software Engineer
Visit London Ltd
6th floor,
2 More London Riverside, London SE1 2RR

Tel:  +44 (0)20 7234 5848
Fax: +44 (0)20 7234 5753

www.visitlondon.com

'Visit London Limited' is registered in England under No.761149;
Registered Office: Visit London, 2 More London Riverside, London SE1 2RR.

Visit London is the official visitor organisation for London. Visit London is partly funded
by Partnership, the Mayor's London Development Agency and London Councils.
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and intended for the named recipient(s)
only.  If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and then delete
the message.  If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute
this email. The views expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual and not of Visit
London. We reserve the right to read and monitor any email or attachment entering or leaving
our systems without prior notice.