tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: JK connector issues ?
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2008 22:03:06 GMT

Rainer Jung wrote:
[...]

> It does since version 1.2.23 (info message during startup). From the log
> line numbers I guess you are using 1.2.21 released in March 2007.

That sounds about right. That system (RHEL5) was installed around that
time and still runs the original versions.

[...]
> This can happen a lot, if Tomcat has a configured connectionTimeout on
> the connector, but mod_jk has no timeout for idle connections. Again we
> would need the configuration, this time also the server.xml.

The Connector tag of server.xml is this :
  <Connector port="8009"
                enableLookups="false" redirectPort="8443"
protocol="AJP/1.3" />

no timeout, so I suppose there is a default.

The mod_jk configuration in Apache is :

     LoadModule    jk_module  modules/mod_jk.so
     JkWorkersFile /opt/tomcat5/conf/workers.properties
     JkLogFile     /var/log/httpd/mod_jk.log
     JkLogLevel    info
     JkMount  /abc/  ajp13
     JkMount  /abc/*  ajp13

No timeout or cping/cpong there, as far as I can tell.

Here is /opt/tomcat5/conf/workers.properties :

workers.tomcat_home=/opt/apache-tomcat-5.5.20
workers.java_home=/usr/java/jdk1.6.0
ps=/
worker.list=ajp13
worker.ajp13.port=8009
worker.ajp13.host=localhost
worker.ajp13.type=ajp13
worker.ajp13.lbfactor=1

No cping/cpong there either.

One more question then : I checked the on-line doc for mod_jk and for
the workers.properties, but see nothing resembling a timeout or
cping/cpong.  Does it have something to do with "JkWatchdogInterval",
"worker.maintain" or JK_REPLY_TIMEOUT ?
In the AJP Connector doc, I find a "connectionTimeout" attribute.
But its description does not really seem to match what we are talking
about here.
So now I'm a bit lost.

> If you want to keep effort low, let your customer
>
> - first do a JK update
> - check, that workers.properties contains good timeout and cping/cpong
> configurations

I'll do that.
The customers themselves are helpless. This system has no internet
access, so I'll have to figure out how to get a recent rpm for RHEL5
myself, and how to install that on their system.

If anyone knows this by heart, I'd be much obliged..

If all else fails, can I just grab a Linux binary mod_jk.so somewhere
and overwrite theirs ?

This is what they have :

Apache 2.0.52
Tomcat 5.5.20
mod_jk 1.2.x
OS : Linux (hostname) 2.6.9-67.0.15.ELsmp #1 SMP Tue Apr 22 13:58:43 EDT
2008 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
(Red Hat Enterprise Linux)

The latest version that seems to fit their system best is
/dist/tomcat/tomcat-connectors/jk/binaries/linux/jk-1.2.27/x86_64
mod_jk-1.2.27-httpd-2.0.61.so

Can I just use that with their Apache 2.0.52, or do I also need to
update Apache ?

Thanks for all the info.