tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: JK connector issues ?
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2008 16:53:53 GMT
Christopher Schultz wrote:

> André,
>
> André Warnier wrote:
>> mod_jk 1.2.x (sorry, don't know the exact version)
>
> This is actually quite important when mod_jk is acting funny. Try this:
>
> $ strings /path/to/mod_jk.so | grep mod_jk/
> mod_jk/1.2.26
>
> Mine appears to be 1.2.26.
>
>> 26.11.2008 13:20:01 org.apache.jk.core.MsgContext action
>> WARNUNG: Error sending end packet
>> java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe
>>     at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite0(Native Method)
>>     at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(SocketOutputStream.java:92)
>>     at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(SocketOutputStream.java:136)
>
> This occurs when the client hangs up the phone before the response is
> complete. There's nothing to worry about, here.

Hi.
I don't have easy access to that customer system, so it'll take me a
while before I get the mod_jk version.  Unfortunately, it does not
appear in the Apache start line.

Attached is a sample of the mod_jk logfile (level INFO).
The messages which appear there are most of the time synchronous with
the kind of message above in the Tomcat catalina.out.

Let me describe what I find strange in all this :
We have quite a few customers with the same basic setup and
applications, and this is the only one to my knowledge where this happens.
The requests that are re-directed to Tomcat are a very specific subset :
they are accesses to a text retrieval engine (say Lucene-like).
So the users who are issuing such requests are rather unlikely to madly
click on the stop button in the browser, or walk away before they have
seen the results to their heavy searches.
Yet the logfile is chock-full of such messages.

There are also quite a few messages that (to me) seem to indicate that
something might be misconfigured.  Do some of these messages not seem to
say that mod_jk is trying to pass a request to Tomcat, but there is no
Tomcat available for him to talk to ?

(if you do not get the attachment, I can post it somewhere and give you
a link).

TIA