tomcat-users mailing list archives

From János Löbb <>
Subject Context placement question
Date Wed, 10 Dec 2008 18:13:49 GMT

I am in the process to convert our production Apache2 + mod_jk +
Tomcat setup  on Max OSx 10.5 to a cluster, so some applications can
run on the cluster, other applications will run only on one of the two
participating balance members.  The Apache in one of the machines will
also act as a reversed proxy.  There will be just one tomcat instance
per machine.

The default context.xml in the conf directory - $CATALINA_BASE/conf/
context.xml -, starts up the StandardContext by default if I
understand well.  It will be good for those webapps that do not have
their own context.xml.

Now I have two questions:

1.	If the default of the $CATALINA_BASE/conf/context.xml trigers the
StandardContext, can I have ReplicatedContext for individual webapps
that I want to run on the cluster?

2.  If the answer is yes for the first question then what is the best
place to put the

<Context path="" docBase="ROOT"

element ?

documentation suggests two places:

	a.	CATALINA_BASE/conf/[enginename]/[hostname]/webapp.xml, where
"webapp" would be unique for every webapp running on the cluster,

	b.	inside the application's /META-INF/context.xml

My major concern is that modification to the webapps context. xml or
webapp.xml containing context info, should not interfere with the
running of other webapps in production environment.

If there is a good article about it please give me the URL.

Thanks ahead,

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message