tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Pieter Temmerman <ptemmerman....@sadiel.es>
Subject RE: Relation between sessions and server slowlyness
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2008 16:04:59 GMT
Hi Chuck,

First of all thanks for your answer.

The application isn't mine, so I can only guess as to how much memory a
session is occupying. The SESSIONS.ser file is occupying 112kb, I
suppose it should be occupying more or less the same in memory.
But that is only an assumption, correct me if I'm wrong.
If so, then it would be less likely that the sessions are causing GC's
and thus slow down the application.

Referring to your comment whether my question is in the spirit of what
André posted before, I'm not completely sure whether that is the case.

I was not asking for something to be solved, I was wondering whether it
would be possible that many idle sessions slow down an application.
You're reply answered my question perfectly: It could be possible.
>>From that point, I can continue investigating, and maybe later post a
new question regarding that matter with all the information I figured
out, in case I'm stuck.

Thanks again.

On Tue, 2008-12-02 at 09:33 -0600, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
> > From: Pieter Temmerman [mailto:ptemmerman.ext@sadiel.es]
> > Subject: Relation between sessions and server slowlyness
>
> In the spirit of André's recent Jonathan Swift / Ray Davies / Douglas Adams style posting,
I'm tempted to answer this way:

> > Is it possible that my application is slower because of
> > the amount of open sessions?
>
>   Maybe.
>
> > How much memory does a session occupy?
>
>   42.
>
> But, to be slightly more verbose:
>
> A cursory monitoring of the system would show if you're experiencing excessive garbage
collections (heap too small) or paging (RAM too small); that's the only significant effect
hanging on to idle sessions would have.

> A session's memory use is determined largely by the number and size of attributes your
webapp puts into it, so only you can answer that question.