tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat Not Releasing URL Connection
Date Wed, 31 Dec 2008 01:44:03 GMT
> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
> Subject: Re: Tomcat Not Releasing URL Connection
>
> The IBM JVM 1.5 and Tomcat 5.0.x are all that is available on the
> (official) Suse SLES 10 CD/DVD.

I'm not suggesting that the OP replace the IBM JRE as the default one, just to use the Sun
JRE in an attempt to narrow down the scope of the problem.  If using the Sun JRE cures the
problem, then the OP can take up the issue with IBM; if it doesn't, then at least one variable
is eliminated and the other possibilities can be looked at.

Doing a little Googling, I found a couple of system properties that affect the DNS cache in
a JVM instance:
  sun.net.inetaddr.ttl
  networkaddress.cache.ttl

Setting either or both of these to 0 via command line parameters might help.  (Setting them
programmatically seems to have problems; see:
for more info.)

 - Chuck