tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat thread pool question
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2008 01:13:05 GMT
> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
> Subject: Re: Tomcat thread pool question
>
> So it has nothing to do directly with the threads.

Only in determining how many requests can be accepted by Tomcat before going on the limited
TCP/IP queue and subsequent requests being rejected.

> I will suppose for now that the webapp saves each borrowed
> connection, in some place related to the session-id of the
> client that triggered the borrowing of each connection.

I hope so; otherwise the application architecture is complete wishful thinking.

> Think I got it.

Yup.

> But on the other hand, if you increase the number of threads above the
> number of simultaneous clients that you could possibly have, then it
> would unblock the situation, no ?

In a test environment, that might be feasible; in the real world, it is highly unlikely that
one has sufficient control over the clients to limit the number of requests that they might
submit in toto.  (It's not really the number of clients that's the problem; it's the number
of concurrent requests, since there's nothing stopping a client from issuing multiple requests
simultaneously.  Given the poor design demonstrated so far by the app in question, I wouldn't
be surprised that they aren't providing for that situation either.)

> I'm not saying that it is a good design, but maybe it's a
> temporary solution ?

Maybe, but I would never condone putting such a scheme into production.  I wonder what other
shortcomings this app has...

 - Chuck