tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: What exactly happens when I configure a different host
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2008 15:54:09 GMT
> From: Anand HS [mailto:anandhs@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: What exactly happens when I configure a different host
>
> I changed the <Host> Name and <Engine> defaultHost back to
> localhost and the error vanishes.
> However, it re appears when I give a different name than localhost.

Finally had time to go chase this a bit more.  The error doesn't really "vanish" when the
<Host> name is "localhost", but it is not sent to the console window Tomcat is using,
nor to the catalina.*.log file; you can find it in the localhost.*.log file.

When you change the <Host> name to something else, the error is displayed in the console
window and in the catalina.*.log file, but not in localhost.*.log.

The reason behind this apparently inconsistent behavior is the settings in conf/logging.properties:
 log entries for "localhost" are routed to specific handlers, which do not include the console
window.  When you changed the <Host> name but did not update logging.properties, the
default log handler kicked in, which dumped the error message to the console.

 - Chuck