tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Relation between sessions and server slowlyness
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2008 15:33:59 GMT
> From: Pieter Temmerman [mailto:ptemmerman.ext@sadiel.es]
> Subject: Relation between sessions and server slowlyness

In the spirit of André's recent Jonathan Swift / Ray Davies / Douglas Adams style posting,
I'm tempted to answer this way:

> Is it possible that my application is slower because of
> the amount of open sessions?

  Maybe.

> How much memory does a session occupy?

  42.

But, to be slightly more verbose:

A cursory monitoring of the system would show if you're experiencing excessive garbage collections
(heap too small) or paging (RAM too small); that's the only significant effect hanging on
to idle sessions would have.

A session's memory use is determined largely by the number and size of attributes your webapp
puts into it, so only you can answer that question.

 - Chuck