tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: no jsp files will compile
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2008 15:57:16 GMT
> From: marlowe [mailto:devinwhalen@gmail.com]
> Subject: no jsp files will compile
>
> I have java 1.5 installed and tomcat5.5 on a Ubuntu machine.

Is this a real Tomcat (i.e., one downloaded from tomcat.apache.org), or is it a 3rd-party
repackaged version?  There are no end of problems with the repackaged junk.

> java.io.FileNotFoundException:
> /var/lib/tomcat5.5/work/Catalina/localhost/marlowe/org/apache/
> jsp/index_jsp.java

Is there a permissions problem here?  It looks like the .java file generated from the .jsp
could not be read (or perhaps it was never written).  Is the userid you're running Tomcat
under the same one that it was installed with?

Do the JSP examples that come with Tomcat work properly?

> Is there something I need to add to my WEB-INF/web.xml file
> to tell it to run jsp files?

No, as long as you haven't changed anything in conf/web.xml, which is where the JSP servlet
is defined.

> Can you only run jsp files under the default webapps
> directory?

Again no, they will compile and run in any webapp deployed in Tomcat.

 - Chuck