tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: jvm cowardly refuses to print a thread dump
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2008 15:34:27 GMT
> From: Leon Rosenberg [mailto:rosenberg.leon@googlemail.com]
> Subject: jvm cowardly refuses to print a thread dump
>
> we were unable to create a thread dump (kill -QUIT pid was just
> ignored by the jvm).

That's ugly.  Sounds like either the OS failed to deliver the signal, or the JVM is locked
up internally (probably the latter).  I presume you've looked at the logs and found nothing
of interest.

Can you launch JConsole on the same machine to poke around in the Tomcat JVM?  (My suspicion
is no, if a signal doesn't penetrate.)  It wouldn't impact performance much if you brought
up a JConsole window when you start Tomcat and just let it sit until the hang.

Any indication of high heap usage before the hang?  Does running with -verbose:gc show anything?

 - Chuck