tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Jason Cipriani" <>
Subject Re: Convenient web application configuration.
Date Thu, 06 Nov 2008 23:39:12 GMT
Hmm, well, there are no other web applications, the server is
dedicated to this one. If there *were* other web applications, they
would likely be using the same data source anyways -- and in that case
it's certainly handy to be able to set the data source for multiple
web apps by maintaining just a single entry in one of Tomcat's
configuration files. Also, for now, I did name the resource something
unique to the web application, I'm not worried about conflicts. As for
management, simple instructions "insert this into context.xml on new
server setup" seems to be working out well.

I can't think of any way that's more convenient. IMHO, if the choice
is writing custom deployment scripts and having to maintain and run
those to deploy the web app (and centrally maintaining separate copies
of configuration files so they can be distributed with the deployment
scripts rather than letting other developers maintain their own), and
describe to other developers how those work vs. adding an entry to
context.xml once and using Tomcat manager to deploy things, it seems
that the former ends up being more confusing and hard to manage.

To be honest I can't think of a single compelling reason not to do it
this way, or any reason at all other than the fact that I have to
explain to developers that when setting up a new system, they must
modify Tomcat configuration files, and I don't see that as a big deal.
I could be missing something, but everything is working great and is
incredibly easy to manage now that I've made this change. That seems