tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Gattu, Praveen" <prave...@amazon.com>
Subject Threadpool doesn't contain any threads
Date Wed, 26 Nov 2008 00:06:08 GMT
Hi - I am noticing a weird issue with our Tomcat installation. Here is my production environment
Tomcat version - 5.5
JDK run time - 1.6
OS : Redhat Enterprise 3.0

Everyday we are noticing the tomcat not responding on a port. On further inspection we noticed
that the thread pool that is serving this port has no threads. Right around the time tomcat
goes into this state, we noticed that there is a thread death, and get the following stack
trace

org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool: Caught exception (java.lang.ThreadDeath) executing
org.apache.tomcat.util.net<http://org.apache.tomcat.util.net>.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread@be86ea,
terminating thread { java.lang.ThreadDeath | at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.acceptSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:488)
| at org.apache.tomcat.util.net<http://org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.ru>.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:73)
| at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:746) |
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619) }

After this the thread pool never gets started again. I see that this exception is essentially
thrown in PoolTcpEndpoint's acceptSocket function, when the function encounters IOException
accepting connections on the socket.

Did anyone else notice this issue. Another minor caveat is, we built Tomcat using JDK 1.5
but are running it on JDK 1.6. Could this be causing any issue?

Also I used Jconsole and noticed that currentThreadBusy and currentThreadCount are both -1.

If anyone can think of any pointers please let me know.

Thanks for any help,
Praveen