tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Ebbert <Mark.Ebb...@hci.utah.edu>
Subject Why did he copy everything in "server/lib" to "common/lib?"
Date Sat, 22 Nov 2008 01:26:08 GMT
Hi,

I have inherited a project from someone (who is no longer around). I
am also fairly new to web-applications. While trying to become
familiar with tomcat 5.5 and the application that I inherited, I
learned that the previous developer copied everything in "server/lib"
to "common/lib." I also learned that the application did not function
properly unless I did the same (error: NoClassDefFoundError: org/
apache/catalina/realm/RealmBase). When reading the documentation on
the tomcat 5.5 class loader page (http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/class-loader-howto.html

), I learned that everything in "server/lib" is meant for Tomcat (and
only Tomcat -- I think). Can anyone straighten me out? Why would he
copy these jars over? And if the application is dependent on them, I
would imagine other people's application would be too, but the jars
are not available to the applications.

Any advice is appreciated.

Mark T. W. Ebbert