tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Peter Crowther <Peter.Crowt...@melandra.com>
Subject RE: GPGPU and Tomcat
Date Thu, 27 Nov 2008 16:56:56 GMT
> From: Caldarale, Charles R [mailto:Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com]
> Frequently, webapps do relatively minor processing, with the
> brunt of the work being performed in a data base engine
> (usually running on a separate system).

To me, the database is one of the more interesting places to use GPUs.  Half a gigabyte of
very fast RAM and some high speed simple processors is a good place to put some critical data
that you want to search.  Because of the architecture of a typical GPU, it seems unlikely
that it's the best place to process complex threaded code, even if (say) the JVM could make
use of it.

                - Peter