tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Jconsole through firewall
Date Thu, 27 Nov 2008 09:02:36 GMT
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Mark Thomas [mailto:markt@apache.org]
>> Subject: Re: Jconsole through firewall
>>
>> There is some code in trunk to do this.
>
> Life just became easier.  Thanks very much.

I'll say thanks first too, not that anyone would think I am ungrateful.

But could someone explain what it means to me in the practice ?

I have a couple of Tomcat 5.5.x that I would like to monitor for what a
specific app does to them (not pretty right now).  One is "in-house"
(but behind a firewall) and is a test system under Linux Debian Etch;
the other one is a customer HPUX 11.11 system, currently running the
Tomcat 5.5.x that came in their HP "HPWS" package together with Apache
2.x and mod_jk1.2.x.  That one is also, for us, behind a firewall.

What I mean is that the first one above we can rather easily "do things
to", while the second one is more delicate.  And in neither case can we
easily upgrade to Tomcat 6.

With the announced thing above, would I be able to monitor them with
jconsole behind their respective firewalls, and if yes what would I need
to do for that ?

Or, can I / should I use another tool ?

Thanks in advance.