tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Manager app language
Date Thu, 27 Nov 2008 08:19:09 GMT
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Michael Ludwig [mailto:milu71@gmx.de]
>> Subject: Re: Manager app language
>>
>> I'm not sure Tomcat would bother what character encoding you
>> specify in LANG.
>
> It does, albeit indirectly.  JVM initialization uses the LANG value to set user.language,
user.country, sun.jnu.encoding, and file.encoding, and it's the user.language setting that
determines which LocalStrings file the manager uses.

> Curiously enough, LANG=de_DE.iso885915 does not work on the SuSE box I'm using; the JVM
reverted to en, US, and ANSI-X3.4-1968 when I tried that.  LANG=de_DE.iso88591 does work as
expected, even though "locale -a" doesn't list it.

Chuck, Michael,
Thanks to both of you for researching this.
I will try different settings to start Tomcat, and see if it does it.
I have to wait until the night to do that, because there's other people
using that cat.
But I still have a doubt, see below.

Now, and no fault of yours of course, that seems like a curious way for
the Manager to work, in my opinion.  It means that despite its inherent
capability - discovered 2 days ago by still unexplained accident - of
speaking in tongues, it only does so according to the overall Tomcat
LANG setting, and does not pay attention to the browser's
"Accept-Language" headers.

Now, about my doubts and the LANG setting : our Tomcat, for a different
reason, is and was always set up with a small change in catalina.sh, to
set the LANG to "en_GB.iso885915", which is a valid locale on that
system (Linux Debian Etch now, Sarge earlier).
It certainly did not change over the last week, overlapping thus the
fateful day when the Manager spoke German to us.

The (almost) unrelated reason is that we have one webapp (object-code
only) which apparently does not interpret some input streams correctly
otherwise (like when Tomcat is started under a UTF-8 locale such as
"en_GB.utf8").
So as far as I am concerned thus, the mystery about the German Manager
episode two days ago remains whole.

root@arthur:~# locale -a
de_BE
de_BE@euro