tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Steve Cohen <sco...@javactivity.org>
Subject HELP!!! java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError running CXF-based client in Tomcat
Date Wed, 26 Nov 2008 15:05:19 GMT
(Cross-posted on Apache CXF Mailing List)

I have developed a Client for accessing a vendor's Web Service.  The
client is based on the CXF framework, built with source code generated
from a Maven-based pom.xml and the vendor's WSDL.

I ran this client in a standalone JUnit test and found it to work.
Being a curmudgeon who doesn't believe in including every jar under the
sun and who likes to know why I'm including what I am including, I
removed 14 of the 47 jars that Maven told me to include, but which
seemed irrelevant to me, and it still ran.

The ultimate destination of this component is inside a web-app running
under Tomcat 6.0.  When I put my component and the 33 necessary jars
into WEB-INF/lib I got NoClassDefFoundErrors.  These errors are
singularly uninformative, all I know is that the class supposedly not
found is my client class, however, given the following code:

MyClient myclient1 = null;
MyClient myclient2 = new MyClient();

the error occurs on the second line and not the first.  Therefore I
conclude that the NoClassDefFoundError refers to a dependency, and not
to MyClient itself.  The NoClassDefFoundError itself is singularly
uninformative - the getCause() member, for example, returns null.  I
need more information and can't figure out where to find it.

I have since tried putting back all the fourteen other jars that Maven
insisted I include and THIS DID NOT HELP.  I am beginning to think the
problem is not a missing class but a class conflicting with something in
Tomcat.

How the HELL do I debug this, given the miserable lack of information in
a NoClassDefFoundError?
I have tried putting a
-verbose
switch on the jvm command line that launches Tomcat, and while this does
emit a slew more information, it still doesn't tell me what I need.