tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Monitoring Tomcat with Jconsole
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2008 21:20:39 GMT
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
>> Subject: Re: Monitoring Tomcat with Jconsole
>>
>> This script by the way (not one of mine) does a "cd" into
>> the java/bin directory and then launches the program from
>> there.  Can that have something to do with it ?
>
> The cd won't be a problem, but I'm wondering if the script is discarding or otherwise
corrupting parameters it doesn't recognize.  Try bypassing the script and running the app
directly using java/bin/java with the JMX parameters.

Ha !  Why did I not think of that myself ?
That works fine, now we're cooking.
Great thanks, I was a bit puzzled there.
(I'll go and have a closer look at that script, too).
I think I was fooled by the command-line that the script itself prints
to the screen. It's obviously not the one it is really running.

So now, I am enjoying the display, but I am not quite sure how to
interpret what I'm seeing.
I don't know if the jconsole offers a cleaner way of doing this, but
here below I copied and pasted what I could from the "VM summary" tab.
Snapshot 1 is after the app launched, but had not yet done anything.
Snapshot 2 is after processing 2 requests, which involve parsing an XML
request, talking to a database, getting the result back, creating an XML
response from that and sending it back to the client.
After this processing, the process in a "top" display shows the following :

22175 star      21   0  266m  23m  11m S  1.0  4.6   0:14.61 java
(where 266m is the virtual memory, and 11m the resident one).

Compared to the numbers I see in the jconsole VM summary below, these
memory figures seem to show a gross disproportion, or am I interpreting
this wrong ?

Snapshot 1

VM Summary
Montag, 24. November 2008 22.07 Uhr CET

Connection name:
monitorRole@arthur:11200
Virtual Machine:
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM version 1.5.0_14-b03
Vendor:
Sun Microsystems Inc.
Name:
22175@arthur
Uptime:
2 minutes
Process CPU time:
5,810 seconds
JIT compiler:
HotSpot Client Compiler
Total compile time:
1,168 seconds

Live threads:
14
Peak:
16
Daemon threads:
12
Total threads started:
19
Current classes loaded:
1.140
Total classes loaded:
1.140
Total classes unloaded:
    0

Current heap size:
   785 kbytes
Maximum heap size:
65.088 kbytes
Committed memory:
1.984 kbytes
Pending finalization:
0 objects
Garbage collector:
Name = 'MarkSweepCompact', Collections = 0, Total time spent = 0,000 seconds
Garbage collector:
Name = 'Copy', Collections = 23, Total time spent = 0,192 seconds

Operating System:
Linux 2.6.18-6-686
Architecture:
i386
Number of processors:
1
Committed virtual memory:
270.980 kbytes
Total physical memory:
  516.920 kbytes
Free physical memory:
    6.852 kbytes
Total swap space:
1.297.564 kbytes
Free swap space:
1.234.376 kbytes

Snapshot 2

VM Summary
Montag, 24. November 2008 22.11 Uhr CET

Connection name:
monitorRole@arthur:11200
Virtual Machine:
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM version 1.5.0_14-b03
Vendor:
Sun Microsystems Inc.
Name:
22175@arthur
Uptime:
6 minutes
Process CPU time:
11,930 seconds
JIT compiler:
HotSpot Client Compiler
Total compile time:
2,312 seconds

Live threads:
13
Peak:
19
Daemon threads:
11
Total threads started:
35
Current classes loaded:
1.373
Total classes loaded:
1.416
Total classes unloaded:
   43

Current heap size:
 1.828 kbytes
Maximum heap size:
65.088 kbytes
Committed memory:
2.452 kbytes
Pending finalization:
0 objects
Garbage collector:
Name = 'MarkSweepCompact', Collections = 0, Total time spent = 0,000 seconds
Garbage collector:
Name = 'Copy', Collections = 60, Total time spent = 0,868 seconds

Operating System:
Linux 2.6.18-6-686
Architecture:
i386