tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Monitoring Tomcat with Jconsole
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2008 20:50:41 GMT
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
>> Subject: Re: Monitoring Tomcat with Jconsole
>
>> Can I "provoke" some meaningful message by misspelling one of these -D
>> switches, just to check ?
>
> Not by misspelling, but if you change the port number to alphabetics, it will complain.
>
> Are you sure you're using a 1.5 HotSpot JVM?  What does "java -version" say?

I added "./java -version" in the script that starts this application.
Just for the fun, I also changed the port number to ABCDE.

This is what it now says :
java version "1.5.0_14"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_14-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_14-b03, mixed mode, sharing)
./java  -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=ABCDE
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.password.file=/home/star/xml/config/management.jmxremote.password

-Dpgm=STARXMLServer -jar "/home/star/xml/STARXMLServer.jar"
Press Control-C to stop STAR XML Server.
Server Version 4.4.2 Started on Port 11100

So yes, it is 1.5, and it doesn't seem to care a bit about the port number.
??

This script by the way (not one of mine) does a "cd" into the java/bin
directory and then launches the program from there.  Can that have
something to do with it ?
Maybe I should have started with Tomcat after all..
(I just didn't because there were other people working with that Tomcat
when I started my study of jconsole)