tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Monitoring Tomcat with Jconsole
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2008 20:28:13 GMT
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
>> Subject: Monitoring Tomcat with Jconsole
>
> ./java "-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=11200
> -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false
> -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.password.file=/mydir/
> management.jmxremote.password"
>   -Dpgm=STARXMLServer -jar "/home/star/xml/STARXMLServer.jar"
>
> Remove the quotes; each -D setting must be a separate parameter, but you've lumped them
all into one.

>> One think I noticed, is that on the server myhost, despite
>> the daemon application being loaded without any apparent
>> error messages, and being responsive to requests on its
>> own port 11100, a netstat -an does not show any port 11200
>> in a LISTEN state.
>>
>> I do not know at this stage if this is significant.
>
> It is.  Without that port being in the listening state, you'll never get a JMX connection.

I did remove the quotes, so now it is started as :
./java  -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=11200
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.password.file=/home/star/xml/config/management.jmxremote.password

-Dpgm=STARXMLServer -jar "/home/star/xml/STARXMLServer.jar"

But the end result is the same : I can still not connect, and still get
the same error message in jconsole :

Connection failed: Connection refused: connect

and it still does not show any port 11200 in LISTEN state on the server.
No error messages shown on-screen either when starting that server app
in a command-line console.
The application on the other hand works fine, accepts connections on its
own port 11100, and prints status messages on-screen.

The message "connection refused" leads me to believe that the problem is
on the server side, which is confirmed by the port 11200 not even being
listening.  But if the JVM on that side "sees" these -D command-line
parameters, should it not be printing error messages somewhere if it
cannot process them ?
Can I "provoke" some meaningful message by misspelling one of these -D
switches, just to check ?