tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Monitoring Tomcat with Jconsole
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2008 19:43:23 GMT
Hi.
I lied in the subject.
This is not strictly a question about Tomcat monitoring, although the
ultimate aim is to monitor a specific Tomcat application.
But I'm trying to start small first, and I'm encountering a problem with
Jconsole, for which this is my first-ever try.

I have a java stand-alone application (daemon) running on host "myhost"
under Linux on a Sun JVM 1.5.  It's a kind of network server, listening
on port 11100.
I started this application with the following parameters :
./java "-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=11200
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.password.file=/mydir/
management.jmxremote.password"
  -Dpgm=STARXMLServer -jar "/home/star/xml/STARXMLServer.jar"

The file management.jmxremote.password contains this line at the end:

monitorRole mypass

On the other hand, I run Jconsole on a Windows XP station, using a Sun
Java 1.6 JVM as follows :
java version "1.6.0_06"
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 10.0-b22, mixed mode, sharing).

When I use the "New connection" dialog to specify that I want a remote
connection with
Host:port : myhost:11200
userid : monitorRole
password : mypass

then the dialog disappear for a few seconds, then comes back, with an
error message at the very bottom saying :
Connection failed: Connection refused: connect

(Note : this Jconsole can monitor its own JVM when using the "local
process" choice)

So, what am I doing wrong ?

One think I noticed, is that on the server myhost, despite the daemon
application being loaded without any apparent error messages, and being
responsive to requests on its own port 11100, a
netstat -an
does not show any port 11200 in a LISTEN state.

I do not know at this stage if this is significant.

My understanding is that it is the JVM on the "myhost" system that
should listen for connections on that port 11200, not the application
itself, right ?

Nor can I think of any system-level reason why the system would be
rejecting incoming connections on port 11200.  This is a local network,
and there is no firewall or anything between the Windows workstation and
the myhost host.

Thanks in advance for any tips