tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Tomcatx.x and vista
Date Mon, 17 Nov 2008 14:54:24 GMT
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Chuck Hodge [mailto:chodge2@comcast.net]
>> Subject: Re: Tomcatx.x and vista
>>
>> Have not made any changes to server.xml.
>
> Tomcat normally listens to HTTP requests on port 8080, and AJP requests (from IIS or
httpd) on port 8009.  If you have IIS configured to listen on port 8080, then Tomcat will
not be able to start.  If IIS is listening on port 80 (its default), then requests to 8080
should go straight to Tomcat; IIS is not involved.

> So what is your setup really?
>
>> The message appears as the only content of index.html. It
>> is probably just an error response by IIS.
>
> It's certainly not coming from Tomcat.
>
> Try taking IIS out of the game while setting up Tomcat.  Once you have Tomcat running
properly standalone, then try configuring IIS to work with it.  (Or, if you're not using IIS
for something else, configure Tomcat to use port 80 for HTTP and don't bother running IIS
at all.)

> Also check to make sure the Vista firewall or other network protection isn't messing
things up.

Additional info :
Internet Explorer has a detestable habit (among many others) : for some
HTTP errors, if the error page sent back by the server is below a
certain number of bytes (it varies according to the error code), IE will
substitute its own error page.
Which makes it all the more difficult to see where the error is coming from.
I do not know of a way to disable this in IE, but if you make sure that
the error pages on the server are at least 1025 bytes in size, they will
get displayed.
Unfortunately, I don't know off-hand where the standard Tomcat error
pages are located.